Do you have any information about Hermes webmail?, No need to worry if you don’t have one, because here we share some useful info about Hermes webmail login, email setup, import and export email, reset Hermes email & password and more information.
What is Hermes webmail ?
Hermes webmail allows you to access email using a web browser, accessing a system connected to the Internet from anywhere in the world. You need to use webmail for various administrative tasks to do with your Hermes account.
Hermes webmail was updated a few years ago – some older users can access the older version from the log-in. However, you can use the email program for example Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird to read and send your mail, or use webmail for everything.
How to login Hermes webmail ?
To login to Hermes webmail you will need a username and password from the University of Cambridge, so get it first and then login.
New Hermes webmail login
- First open your web browser (google chrome, yahoo etc…) and go to this webpage link webmail.hermes.cam.ac.uk.
- The user gin page is displayed asking for your user identifier and Hermes password.
- Enter your username and password and select Login.
- You can, if you choose, login using your Raven password.
- To do this, select the Login using the Raven link to the right of the username box.
- Once you have logged in you will see a mail screen, with the messages listed in your inbox.
Old Hermes webmail login
- Use a web browser to go to old-webmail.hermes.cam.ac.uk and login to Hermes.
- Click on the Manage icon at the top of the page.
- Click on the Redirect button and tick Enable Redirection.
- Specify the Redirect address: e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tick Save copy in this account if you want to keep a copy in your account. N.B. use this with care as your mail could build up and take your inbox over quota (this would eventually result in mail being returned to the sender).
- Click on the Apply button.
- Quit Hermes by clicking on the Logout icon at the top right of the web page.
Forgot or Reset Hermes webmail login password
The password management application helps you to change your Raven password, you are used for Exchange Online and other Microsoft services, Hermes, MCS Desktop Services and Employee Self-Service, amongst other things.
You can also view your Change History log and control how your password can be reset if you forgot:
- You must first go to the Raven Password Management page link password.csx.cam.ac.uk.
- If you’re already logged in to Raven, click your Page> button.
- And if you have not already logged in to Raven, click the Log In> button and login.
- You can’t log in to Raven, follow the procedure for forgotten passwords.
- Now click the Change Password> button.
- This will open the Change your password page.
- Enter your current Raven password.
- If you still have different passwords for Raven, Hermes and Desktop Services, you will need to use your Raven password.
- New Password Enter your new password field.
- You will not allow you to use your existing Hermes password if you know it.
- You must remember to update your email client’s account settings to use the new password you created here.
Use the password generator tool
If you click the Random Password Generate link shown below the new password field, you will actually see a random password suggestion. If you want to use it, you can paste it into the new password field by clicking or the Generate another random password link to get another suggestion.
- The strength of your new password will be shown as you type. They recommend using a password with a rating of ‘Very strong’.
- Enter your new password again in the Confirm password field, to confirm it.
- Click the Change password button to save it.
- You will see a confirmation message showing which of your passwords have just been updated.
- Success your password set successfully.
You can review a log of the changes made to your password by clicking the History tab on your account management page.
Using Hermes Email Server Settings with Microsoft Outlook 365
- Email address: Enter your CRSid@cam.ac.uk email address – e.g. email@example.com
- User name: Enter your CRSid – e.g. example123
- Password: Select your password for Hermes (this might not be the same as your Raven password)
- Incoming Server: imap.hermes.cam.ac.uk
- Port: 993
- Security/Encryption: SSL
- Outgoing Server: smtp.hermes.cam.ac.uk
- Port: 587
- Security/Encryption: STARTTLS
Setup Hermes webmail (Email) in Android devices
This guide here are made using the Samsung Galaxy, there may be some differences or variations with other Android devices, but follow the step guide below to set up or configure Hermes email in an Android device.
- Go to your home screen, press the ‘application’ button.
- Select the Email Icon option.
- Add Account Add in Accounts field.
- Enter your email address (eg firstname.lastname@example.org) and your Hermes password.
- Tick Send email from this account by default.
- Click Manual Setup.
- Select IMAP account.
- Just change your username to your CRSid (eg xyz789, not email@example.com).
- Re-enter your password.
- Set the IMAP server as imap.hermes.cam.ac.uk.
- Set security type to SSL (accept all certificates).
- Then click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Set up the SMTP server at smtp.hermes.cam.ac.uk.
- Choose the security type to SSL (accept all certificates).
- Set the account name on the next screen.
How to Access Hermes email on Apple Mail for iOS ?
If other browsers do not work on your iPhone or iPad Devices, using the Safari browser, you can download the Hermes connection profile. Click on the ‘Allow’ option to confirm the download and click on the ‘Close’ option when the ‘Profile Downloaded’ window appears.
- Open your ‘Settings’ option.
- Then tap ‘General’, and scroll down to and tap ‘Profile’.
- Then tap the Hermes profile.
- Check the details and tap ‘Install’ in the top right corner.
- And then ‘Install’ again option.
- Enter your full username.
- Enter your full @cam email address in the format CRSid@cam.ac.uk.
- Select your CRSid when asked for a username.
- Then tap ‘Next’ button.
- Enter your Hermes password (usually your Raven password) when asked for a password.
- Then tap ‘Next’ button.
- Enter your CRSid when asked for a username.
- Tap ‘Next’ button.
- You’ll see a confirmation that the profile has been installed.
- And last click on ‘Done’ option.
- Remove the profile
- If you need to remove profile at some point in the future, simply open ‘Settings’, go to ‘General’ and ‘Profile’.
- Then select ‘Hermes’ and tap ‘Remove profile’ and ‘Remove’ to confirm.
Setup Hermes Email on Outlook Windows 2013 & 2016
If you want to be able to find Cambridge email addresses automatically, see the guide to setting up Outlook 2013 for using the University LDAP directory.
- First open your File> Account and Social Network Settings> Account Options.
- And then click across the Email tab.
- Then select the ‘New’ option.
- Under the service of your choice and click on the e-mail account.
- Enter your full name details.
- At the e-mail address enter give your CRSid@cam.ac.uk address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Do not accept password requests for this.
- Select Manual Setup or Additional Server Types at the bottom of the panel.
- And then press the ‘Next’ button.
- On the next screen – select the service ‘POP or IMAP’ and then select the Next button.
- Account type must be changed from POP3 to IMAP.
– Set the Incoming Mail Server to: imap.hermes.cam.ac.uk
– Set the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) to: smtp.hermes.cam.ac.uk
- Do NOT tick ‘Require logon using Secure password Authentication’.
- Enter your CRSid (e.g. username and then select the button labelled More settings.
- Select the Outgoing Server tab.
- Make sure that both My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and Use same settings as my incoming mail server are selected.
- Finally choose the Advanced tab.
– Under the Use the following type of encrypted connection choose TLS for both IMAP and SMTP settings.
– Change the number for Outgoing server (SMTP) to 587.
- Then select ‘OK’ button.
- Select ‘Next’ button.
- You should be see a logon screen and be prompted for your password.
- At the bottom of the pane you will see:
– Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP)
– Send test e-mail message
- Both of your lines show a green tick on the left side of the pane and a ‘complete’ on the right.
- You have now successfully set up your account.
- Last click on ‘Finish’ option.
Setup or Configure Hermes webmail on Outlook 2010
The following settings allow you to configure Outlook 2010. Use the latest window update of Microsoft.
- Open the File tab menu and select ‘Add Account’ option.
- Enter on the Auto Account Setup screen:
– Your Name: box type your name.
– E-mail Address: box type your CRSid@cam.ac.uk .
- At the bottom of the screen choose Manually configure server settings or additional server types.
- And select ‘Next’ button.
- On the Choose E-mail Service window select Internet E-mail.
- And then select Next button.
- Go on the Internet E-mail Settings window.
- Choose for Server Information data:
– Account Type: change the drop-down entry from POP3 to IMAP.
– Incoming Mail Server: enter imap.hermes.cam.ac.uk.
– Access server: POP is available, but note that POP will, by default, download your email from Hermes to the computer you are using.
- If your computer breaks or is stolen you will lose your messages.
- If you must use POP, then set your incoming mail server type to POP3 and use pop.hermes.cam.ac.uk.
- The Incoming mail server setting:
– Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): enter smtp.hermes.cam.ac.uk.
- Enter Logon Information:
– User Name: enter your CRSId (e.g. xyz789)
– Remove the tick from Remember password
– Make sure that Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) is not ticked.
- Select More Settings option.
- On the General tab change the Mail Account name if you wish.
- Select the Outgoing server tab.
- Make sure that both My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and Use same settings as my incoming mail server are both ticked.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Select your Incoming server and Outgoing server
– IMAP: select TLS from the pull-down menu for Use the following type of encrypted connection.
– SMTP: Select TLS from the pull-down menu for Use the following type of encrypted connection.
– Port: 587
- Select ‘OK’ button.
- Select Next from the Internet E-mail Settings window then select ‘Finish’ option.
Configure Hermes email on Mozilla Thunderbird
If you also want to automatically find Cambridge email addresses, configure Thunderbird using the University LDAP directory.
- To create a new account, for example Tools -> Account Settings -> Add Account.
– On the Mail Account Setup screen.
– Complete your username.
– For Email address use CRSid@cam.ac.uk
– Do not put in your password at this stage.
- Select ‘Continue’ option.
- Thunderbird will attempt to auto-configure settings but will not succeed, and on the Mail Account Setup screen.
- For Incoming server settings:
– Check that the pull-down menu is set to IMAP.
– Set Server hostname: imap.hermes.cam.ac.uk.
– Port: 143.
– Connection security: STARTTLS.
– Authentication: Normal password.
- For Outgoing server settings:
– Set Server hostname: smtp.hermes.cam.ac.uk.
– Port: 587.
– Connection security: STARTTLS.
– Authentication: Normal password.
- Make sure your CRSid (e.g. email@example.com) appears as your Username.
- Now select Advanced configure.
- Select Server Settings then Advanced, From the settings window that appears.
– Remove the tick by Show only subscribed folders.
– Check that Allow server to override these namespaces is ticked.
- Select OK to close the various windows.
- Choose to get Mail from the top menu bar and enter your Hermes password when asked.
- Edit->Account Settings or Tools->Account Settings and then select your account name.
How to Export Outlook contacts in Hermes webmail ?
- First Open your Microsoft Outlook.
- Select File and ‘Import and Export’ option.
- And choose the Export to a file and click on Next > button.
- Select Tab Separated Values (Windows) and click on Next > button.
- Select the Contacts folder that contains the addressbook entries to be exported and click on Next > option.
- In Save exported files as: give it the name addressbook.txt and click Browse.
- Click on the My Documents folder in the Places bar (left-hand side of the dialog box).
- Then click on OK, then Next > button.
- Click the Map Custom Fields button.
- In the right-hand To: box click the Clear Map button.
- In the white Value box on the left-hand side click the + next to Name field.
- The first item you drag from the white Value box across to the white box on the right-hand side will become the Alias used in Hermes webmail so select the item you wish to use, First Name or Last Name are probably the most suitable.
- Drag the First Name field from the left-hand to the right-hand box.
- In the white Value box on the left-hand side click the – next to Name.
- Drag the Name field from the left-hand to the right-hand box.
- Scroll down the white box on the left-hand side until you see + E-mail, click the + next to E-mail.
- Drag the E-mail Address field from the left-hand to the right-hand box.
- Click the ‘OK’ button.
- Click ‘Finish’ and wait for Outlook to do the export.
Contact support on Hermes (The University of Cambridge)
- Phone: 01223 337733
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 01223 334679
- University Information Services (UIS),
Roger Needham Building,
7 JJ Thomson Avenue,
Cambridge, CB3 0RB
- Monday–Friday 08:30–17:00
The UIS Service Desk team is currently dealing with high volumes of urgent enquiries and must prioritise issues that are preventing people from working.
Before raising a support ticket with the Service Desk, please consult the service support information on the website and the Microsoft Teams Hub.
What is Hermes ?
Hermes is a The University of Cambridge is rich in history, its famous colleges and university buildings attract visitors from all over the world. But the university’s museums and collections also contain many treasures that provide an exciting insight into the scholarly activities of the university’s scholars and students, both past and present.
The University is considered to be one of the oldest universities in the world and a self-governing community of leading academic centers and scholars.
What Services does The University of Cambridge Offer ?
- Accounts and passwords
- Security Email
- Wireless services
- Network services
- Collaboration tools
- Support, policies and IT training
- Computer rooms
- Desktop services
- Collaboration tools
- Teaching and learning
- Research support, data and computing
- Central systems
- Management reporting
- Development and website services
See Also: UTS webmail